General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”) Privacy Notice and Information for Clients
This notice explains when and why we collect personal information about you, how we use this information, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others, how we keep your data secure and your rights in relation to the data.
Who we are
B J McKenna & Co Solicitors LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under number 591247.
The firm collects, processes and stores information about you; we are known as the “data controller” of the personal information you provide to us.
The personal information we collect
The exact information we collect from you will depend on what you have asked us to do. It may include the following personal information:-
- your name, address, date of birth, contact details (telephone and e-mail where appropriate) your National Insurance number (where appropriate)
- identity information and documents
- bank account details
- additional information to enable us to advise you and progress your case
Sources of information
- you may provide the information about yourself
- you may provide information about someone else if you have authority to do so
- we may receive information from third parties to enable us to conduct your legal case e.g.:
- banks and building societies
- medical and or financial institutions who provide your personal information
How we use your personal information
Our main purpose for using your personal information will be to carry out the legal work you have instructed us to do
Some examples of how we may use the information are:
- to verify your identity
- to communicate with you
- to obtain insurance policies on your behalf
- to establish funding of your matter
- to prepare documents or complete transactions
- to make and receive payments
Access to your information
We have data protection procedures in place to secure the privacy of your personal information. We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
We will generally only use your information within B J McKenna & Co Solicitors LLP. However there may be circumstances in conducting your legal case where we may need to disclose information to third parties e.g.:
- Regulatory and legal bodies
- HM Land Registry to register a property
- HMRC to deal with Stamp Duty, Inheritance Tax or Income Tax
- solicitors or insurance companies acting on the other side
- asking a Barrister for advice on your case
- Healthcare professionals
When your information is shared with third parties we will ensure that they maintain the confidentiality of the information and do not use the information for their own purposes.
There are some uses of personal data that require your specific consent e.g. disclosure of your medical or employment records. We will contact you separately to obtain your consent to this and you may withdraw your consent at any time.
Protecting your Personal Data
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being lost, altered or disclosed, used or accessed by unauthorised persons. We will limit access to your personal data to those who have a business need to know.
How long we will keep your data for
Your personal information will be retained in computer and manual files for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was obtained or as required by law and we will confirm this to you at the end of your case. After this time period your file of papers will be confidentially destroyed.
Your rights under the GDPR
Under the GPDR you have a number of rights which can be exercised free of charge
- the right to be informed which is fulfilled by this Privacy Notice
- the right to rectification if your personal data is inaccurate or incomplete
- the right to erasure or “right to be forgotten” – the right to request removal of your data when it is no longer required
- the right to restrict processing i.e. how we use your data e.g. where you contest the accuracy of the data held
Complaints about the use of your personal data
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to raise any concerns about how we are handling your personal data. If you are not satisfied with our response you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk/concerns or by telephoning 0303 1231113
For full information of our Complaints Procedure, please email us at email@example.com for a copy